Monday, July 30, 2012

Poem Paraphrase - ABC by Robert Pinsky

Everyone dies.  However, there are very few that die as happy people who radiate joy in their beings.  We take our knowledge and love with us. There are some when they die that don't want to see it coming or be conscious of this stage of life.  For them, medication dulls the senses, giving them the fastest relief.  I would prefer to have this precious moment of death lucid.  This new world I will be going to has so many possiblities.  The sky is the limit.

ABC
by Robert Pinsky

Any body can die, evidently.  Few
Go happily, irradiating joy,

Knowledge, love. many need oblivion, painkillers,
Quickest respite.

Sweet time unafflicted,
Various world:

X = your zenith.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... That is an interesting thought and also thought provoking! However, having lost loved ones to cancer and painful exits from this world, I’m a strong believer in pain meds. I do like the belief of leaving your joy behind and taking your love with you. Nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with mwebster in the thought above. Having a small taste of pain with frequent migraines, I am absolutely all about suppressing pain as much as possible, even if my time is short. I do it for those I love who have to hear me complaining! I'm determined to live now in such a way that my memories with my loved ones NOW, rather than the moments I'm suffering on a bed somewhere, become what we all remember of my life once I'm gone. I don't really want my loved ones to be forced to see me and remember me at my weakest end just before death. I'm not sure how to prevent that from happening, however, nor will I keep loved ones away to spare them. I just wish I knew how to spare them in advance.

    ReplyDelete